It may sound obvious, but do you really know how to make your bed?
As it is National Make Your Bed Day, we encourage you to learn how to make your bed properly. There are benefits to a well-made bed – whether that’s because it makes the room look better, it’s part of a daily routine or puts you in the right frame of mind for the day.
Making a bed to the best possible standard can involve several steps you might not have considered.
How to make a bed properly
If you’ve got a fitted sheet, simply slip it on and stretch over the four corners.
If you’ve got a flat sheet, then it’s all about the corners. And the best way is to create hospital corners which keep the sheet tight but creates a really crisp look.
Here’s a quick step-by-step guide to achieving hospital corners:
- Tuck the bottom of the sheet in at the head and foot of the bed.
- Take the excess fabric and lift up to the top of the mattress – this step should leave you with the edge of the sheet at a 45-degree angle with the corner of your mattress (think a triangle)
- Keep hold of this angle, tuck under the fabric still hanging down the side of the bed and allow the rest of the fabric to fall.
- You should now have a corner which you can adjust to fit the corner of the mattress and tuck in.
- Now just repeat the steps for the rest of the corners!
Next, you need to add a duvet, quilt or comforter. Choose something that you find visually appealing. It’s your room and your bed and needs to be a place where you feel calm and relaxed. It’s crucial to spread and smooth out the duvet/quilt before selecting a pile of decorative pillows – at least four standard sleeping ones – for a stylish look.
First published 22.07.19, updated and republished 11.09.23